Eagle Flying Museum---- Flying Program Blog

Pictures from EFM Flying Missions

This is a 'Doofer Book' entry for the EFM Flying Training Missions- SIC, checkouts, just fun. USAF tradition is that a log of sorts is kept of all squadron activity... good, bad, funny.... whatever. The above shots are a compliation of the particular mission... and in no way reflect the EFM or any serious stuff. Remember, to be a valid story all it is to be is 10% true! Check Six!

Hi John, Just a note to let you know that I was in Ft. Worth, TX last week to fly the DC-3 "Southern Cross" with ace CFI Scott Perdue. I found out he is in my John Deakin Admiration Club, knows you and has all your Pelican Perch articles. I was able to relate the great experience I had spending 14 hours under your direction in the left seat of C46 "China Doll". I am attaching a picture of Scott and me in the cockpit of "Southern Cross" (I am the guy with the gray hair and blue eyes) and a picture of you and me in China Doll. Great experiences for me as a GA pilot. Thanks so much to both of you. Best wishes to you and your gracious wife who prepared that great Japanese dinner for us during my stay in Camarillo nearly 10 years ago. Regards, Tom Logan Canfield, OH

Hi Beth, Congratulations! I'm delighted to hear that you got to fly the B-25? Wasn't it a great thrill, flights that you'll never forget? I'm especially delighted that my article inspired you to become acquainted with "Pacific Prowler." Please do say hello at Summit. It would be a pleasure to meet you. We have something else in common. Although I didn't forge my birth certificate, I did forge my mother's signature on my Student Pilot Application. In those days, young students had to have one parent's permission, and neither of my parents approved of my learning to fly. Best wishes, -- Barry At 04:24 PM 10/21/2010, you wrote: Hi Barry, I really wanted to find you at AOPA Long Beach and pull out my B-25 memo before you did. But then I realized it might never happen. I had always wanted to fly this aircraft and after reading your article I contacted them. You can see the results. When I was 15, I soloed in a Taylorcraft by forging my birth certificate. When the FAA found out, I had to return it. But have been flying professionally and for pleasure for a long time. Thanks so much. The people at Pacific Prowler were great. Cheers, Beth (Oliver)

Quick note to thank you for your hospitality this past week. Thanks for an excellent steak dinner and a great lunch. But more importantly, thanks for the opportunity to experience "The Prowler". That ranks at the top of my aviation experiences. What a magnificant "Beast"! Thanks again Scott. And maybe we can get together for the "Southern Cross" or the "A26/B26" when it is available.

Scott, I wanted to write this while it was still fresh in my mind. The look on my face in the pictures says it all. I was so happy and pleased with what I had accomplished. And you made it possible in exactly the way I would have wished it. You’re a damn good instructor and I’ve been fortunate enough to have a few. I also felt like I was earning my time fair and square for whatever that’s worth. Additionally, I got a small glance at history. I tried to imagine what it was like to go on missions in that aircraft. My appreciation for the people that flew those missions skyrocketed, truly. So many things came to mind that never would have before. Thank you and everyone at Pacific Prowler for this opportunity. Lastly, this will go in my book. This will probably be the final chapter and I have a long ways to go. I will try and help you find some sponsorship, but I won’t make promises I can’t keep. Do make note of the fact a woman did this too, not for me, but for all of you. Others female pilots will be interested and have the money. I will come back and fly again, GIVEN TIME, MONEY, AND STAYING IN ONE PIECE. I will keep in touch, regardless of these matters. You shared and it meant a lot. Next year I will have been flying fifty years and what a way to mark the event. Cheers and many thanks to you, Jim, Candy and the whole gang Beth Actually, I can fly the Prowler better than I demontrated. But, you have heard that before!! Maybe after 100 hours!! Thanks again, John

Good morning Scott. Thanks for the Prowler News. Please keep me on the list. I note that you must have very little to say since you put John, George and me (with our pictures, yet) on the newsletter. Thanks anyhow. I have told the story of the Pacific Prowler to all around here and they have been appropriately impressed. I haven't been able to get to your book but will as soon as I finish the Cook book, "Once a Fighter Pilot." He is an Arkansas Boy and retired as a one star in command of the AF reserve unit in Ft. Smith. He also was an F4 jock and loved it. I still have the coin and will have it with me at OSH. You better have yours....I can get really thirsty. By the way, some of the B-25 guys came through Kennett Missouri (about 25 miles Northeast of Paragould)to fuel. They have the cheapest fuel in the U.S. One of them gave one of the local boys a hat and he gave it to me. I promise not to wear it while around you. You might think about stopping in Kennett for fuel on the way to OSH. Let me know and if I haven't left already I'll bring the Fairchild over and let you and Jim fly a good plane. Take care. Donis

Hi Scott, I am still sitting here with a smile on my face. I haven't landed yet. It is (was) great. Thank you so much for your great instruction. Could you please e mail me the pictures you took so I can print them up. By the way, John had his camera taken out of his checked luggage so he has only the pictures I took which I have sent to him. Thanks again, maybe I will be at Oshkosh and I will see you there. Thanks, Dennis

Hi Steve, I'm delighted that you enjoyed my article about "Pacific Prowler." Thank you so very much for taking the time to say so but especially for providing all of that information during her career as a photo platform. I hope you don't mind, but I am going to pass your email along to "Prowler's" owner and pilot, Jim Terry and Scott Perdue. Best wishes, -- Barry At 04:51 PM 8/31/2010, you wrote: Barry, I enjoyed reading your article about “Pacific Prowler.” I worked in the film industry in the late 60s and 70s and I spent many hours in this B-25 when it was owned by Tallmantz and piloted by Frank Tallman. This was just after his partner, Paul Mantz was killed in an accident while filming “Flight of the Phoenix.” I was recently out of film school and couldn’t believe I was being paid at all, much less “Hazard Pay” to spend days flying around doing aerial photography in such an historic aircraft, piloted by a legend. Reading your article brought back many great memories. At the time, I was a private pilot and I took ever chance I could to fly with Frank. Once, I went along on a ferry flight to the East Coast rather than fly first class with the rest of the crew. I got some right seat time and a real appreciation of how much work it must have been to fly long real-life missions, never mind all the real hazards of flying at max gross weight with flak and enemy fighters. As I recall, we were flying east for filming on one of the “Airport” movies and we were staged at Dulles Airport. This was when the Concorde was fairly new and attracting a lot of attention on the ramp but the B-25 attracted a lot more. On one landing, I was leaning against the interior fuselage just as the plane came to a stop as the port side settled much lower than level. I looked out the waist turret to see the plane coming to a stop just as the left main wheel touched the tarmac – with what was left of a blown - not just flat - tire. Frank had set the plane down so artfully that I don’t think the rim was damaged. This was a lesson I learned and repeated many years later in my own Cessna 206. On another occasion, filming on “Ba Ba Black Sheep,” I was photographing out of the nose turret. We were filming a flight of four Corsairs flown by members of the Confederate Air Force. The shot called for the Corsairs to execute an echelon left formation turn with the B-25 flying on the right wing of the starboard Corsair. As we began the run and turn, Frank suddenly did a diving military right hand turn. Stuff inside was thrown everywhere. Once we got settled Frank explained that he had been watching the leader’s hand on the stick in the lead Corsair and when he saw the leader start a right turn instead of the planned left turn, Frank turned and dove, barely avoiding a midair collision, certainly saving everyone in the B-25, the lead Corsair pilot and probably the rest of the aircraft. To my knowledge, the only accident that ever occurred with the B-25 was when a camera operator apparently fell out of the tail gunner’s position during a zero-G maneuver while filming “Catch 22.” I often thought of that sad accident when I was in the tail with no Plexiglas turret, two feet away from the open tail cone, looking through a camera eyepiece where the original machine guns had been, and wearing a safety belt with a long nylon strap the length of the empennage. I was blissfully happy and getting paid to be there. I’m sure my limited experiences are but a few of many great stories about that B-25 and Frank Tallman. It was as close as I could get to barn storming. Maybe someday you can collect more of these recollections and share them with others who grew up loving airplanes and flying. The B-25 and Tallmantz Aviation are wonderful parts of aviation history. Thanks again for rekindling the great memories. Best regards, Steve Wolper Ketchum, Idaho

Scott, Holy cow, where do I start... just, thanks so much.. Bob was immensely impressed with your professionalism and your determination to make sure he enjoyed his flight... he has already mentioned more than once how pleased he was that you were the man to take him up.... as he said to you, he was wondering for a few weeks whether it was like 'riding a bicycle' and discovered it wasn't quite the same.. :-) part of his difficulty was that the gauges are all in different spots, so that old and well-remembered glance at the panel didn't give the same results.. and of course the wind was not so good... ah, but he is so HAPPY, just the outcome I'd hoped for, he can't stop talking about this... We could not have asked for a better experience and will sing your praises wherever we can... Jim Terry is a great guy, also very kind and respectful of Bob.. thank him for me, and anyone else who contributes to what you do... I wish I could have come out for this afternoon's flying, but I had a household repair emergency and had to wait for my guys, a scheduled appointment... but please let me know the next time you're taking any of your planes out.. I'll happily go out in the airfield and get good video of takeoffs and landings.. I am available a lot of the time, as I work for myself and am semi-retired.. and if you want onboard video in the PP, well I"m your man. :-) our video and pictures came out well.. I'll send you a few later today.. and in a few days I'll have some video online for you.. it looks great and has some really nice moments in it.. I'm an old radio announcer and producer, so I'll do a nice script and soundtrack for you as well... I'll get in touch for some script guidance soon... Again, a magnificent day, what a great way to celebrate Bob Fults.. Ginnie was in college when Bob finished his aviation career in 1947, and never went up with him until today.. some tears from her when we lifted off, what a moment... none of us will forget this. Thanks so much to all of you! Dave Perkins

Here's a pic of me and another fella getting the SIC rating with me. I have more but will have to find some time to post. It's really hard to communicate the feelings I had. Both from the huge plane with the history it has and from the thoughts of Dad back in WWII wanting to fly and not getting the chance. Differential brakes to steer that were real grabby and difficult to feel. Loud, powerful take off with one R-2600-35 on each side (pop! snap, pop at idle); 12 foot plus props just out each window. Just a monster as far as flying feel and rolling down the runway. Much higher rotation (round out) point on landing on tires higher than my waist. Engine out was a challenge. Can't imagine what it'd be like at gross. I think we were near 24,000 pounds when flying. .50 calibers at each crew station. What a hoot! Best, Dave

Just the size of this monster was something to me. I've just never flown anything this large. It's a bit deceptive because the nose sticks out well forward of the cockpit: where the nose gunner sits. Not really viewable from the cockpit, but sticking out there. When checking controls free and working, one uses a rear view mirror just above the canopy to the front left and right. One can see the rudder movement and horizontal stab back there. Ailerons popped up a bit above the wing when moved full travel. One can see the mains down and the nose wheel reflection in the spinner on either side. One climbs in from under the plane on a ladder that comes in just behind the cockpit. Lots of stuff one shouldn't grab. Where one can grab is always apparent right after one really needed it! Lots of controls and lots of fingers needed at the same time to do some things like starting the engines. Definitely a two person AC. It's really cool to sit in the nose on an approach; and in the tail in flight. One just feels like they are out there on their own, and, it wouldn't take much to make that true! Can't imagine sitting in either of those places and trying to fight off enemy fighters, or to watch the flack come up and hope it's not the day one gets hit. Best, Dave

Scott -- And, fun it was! Although, Allen and I agreed that we were happier in our ride for the trip home than if we were having to slog 1500 miles through the clag with the R-2600s rattling us into numbness. The weather couldn't have been nicer. You did a good job arranging that perfect of a day. I do think that I gave myself whiplash through the herky-jerky taxi on my first effort. Wow. Nice brakes! Hope you aren't too bruised up. Thanks again for the excellent instruction, hospitality and company. Now, if I can get the oil out of my jacket.... Scott


Flying the B-25 was one of the most fun days I've had as a pilot in a long time. To me the B-25 was a physical sensation. From its size, to the noise, to the vibration, to the panoramic view. It has taken my ears about 3 days to recover from the noise it is not used to. The day before it took two IFR approaches into KFWA and KFTW to get to gunny. The next day dawned perfect crisp cool CAVU Texas weather. It could not have been better for a day of flying. Gunny took great care of us. Giving us enough ground school the evening we arrived, a nice dinner, and then a full day of flying ending with a meeting with the FAA to issue our SIC type. With another two days of pattern work I may have figured out how to properly land the beast. Maybe I will need to go back for the whole PIC upgrade. Highly recommended! Allen



E-mail: info@eagleflyingmuseum.org

Phone: 682-286-3971

TOPgallery button